Size of Original: 37.5 x 24.25 inches (78x 52.7 cm)
This is a high quality reproduction print of this fine antique travel poster promoting S.S. Rotterdam of the Holland America Line, a shipping line that carried passengers and cargo from 1873 to 1989. In 1989 the Holland America Line was purchased by Carnival Corp and now operates as a cruise line, headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
The S.S. Rotterdam honored in this poster was constructed in 1959 as a trans-Atlantic vessel that on her maiden voyage she carried the then Crown Princess of the Netherlands to New York. As time went on, transatlantic liners began to disappear as more people began to prefer air travel. The Rotterdam was retired from transatlantic service just 10 years after its maiden voyage and used primarily as a full time cruise ship sailing the Caribbean in the winter and Alaska in the summer up until 1997 when it was retired.
Eppo Doeve (1907 – 1981) was popular Dutch painter and cartoonist of Indonesian descent. He moved to the Netherlands at the age of 20 where he began studying at the Agricultural College. In 1948 he designed the first poster of the newly founded Holland Festival. In the 1950s he was responsible for the Dutch banknotes that featured portraits of great historical Dutch figures.
- The available size options are aimed to fit standard size frames. This will not apply for all maps and sizing options.
- The dimensions give are approximate and may vary by up to .5 inches.
- All of our maps will include an extra margin of 1 - 2 inches for matting purposes.
- We do not alter the ratio of H x W dimensions of the map as that would diminish the integrity of our reproduction's resemblance of the original work
Paper Information & Optional Upgrade
- Our paper is referred to as a Premium Archival Matte (230 gsm). This heavyweight paper is smooth to the touch, neutral-white, acid-free for a longer print life and features an instant-dry coating that resists fingerprints and smudging.